Monday, July 14, 2008

Loving The Met Right Now...


-Cameron



-Turner

Not that I don't always love the Met. It's my place of solitude and inspiration. However, they really have a fine set of shows currently. The one I'm most partial to and the one that set me into a flurry of ecstatic giggles is "Framing a Century: Master Photographers, 1840–1940"-namely because, yes, I am a photographer. Also because it reminds me of what a magical place the darkroom is...and how sad I am that a fair amount of "photographers" don't even know or understand what that experience is like. I don't understand how you can even call yourself a photographer unless you have worked in a darkroom, spent endless glorious hours splashing around in those chemicals, making magic and spontaneous miracles happen...

But as a digress, another show I was inexplicably taken aback by was the J.M.W Turner exhibition. It's rather extensive and quite glorious. I was never really a huge fan of his work until how. His use of color and light kept me fixed to that bench in the middle of the room for long periods of time. Yes, I actually took time to sit down.

Go see both shows...and even the Superhero one if you like...

1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street
New York, New York 10028-0198
Information: 212-535-7710
www.themetmuseum.org

And don't forget---you don't have to pay full price. You can simply say "donation" and give them what you can afford at that moment. Enjoy!

No comments: