Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Death of a Salesman


I just found out that Joe Ades, the British accented carrot and potato peeler salesman of Union Square Greenmarket has passed away! So sad! He was an icon of determination for me when I first arrived in NYC. Whenever I would begin feeling beaten down by this crazy city, I'd go watch Joe on a Saturday morning for some inspiration. Rain or snow, he'd be there selling his peelers in designer suits, bellowing the peeler's benefits in his strong British accent. He made the peelers sound like they could work magic and had large crowds around him constantly, many whom were smiling. Needless to say, he sold...and he sold well. He was a beacon of determination.

Take a moment to pay respect. A New York icon has passed. Well, a NYC icon to me.

No comments: